A refuge from the cold. Colors to cling to in the gray. Winters very own light. The sunset and the sunrise condensed into a humble fruit. These cupcakes are light, fluffy and brimming with flavor. The perfect way to liven up a Winters day or night. Sweet dreams of the sweetest things!
The Goods ::
1 cup coconut sugar
1 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend
3/4 cup Almond Meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup unsweetened Flax Milk or any other non dairy milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange extract
1 teaspoon Almond extract
2 tablespoons blood orange juice
zest of 2 blood orange
1 cup Earth Balance
3 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. of Almond Extract
1-3 tbsp. of blood orange juice
zest of a blood orange
Optional - A pinch of beet juice to make it really pink
Get Baking ::
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Then pour in your wet ingredients.
- Mix dry an wet ingredients as well as zest of orange.
- Spoon Batter into a silicone cupcake tray or a lined traditional cupcake tray.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- For the buttercream, use a mixer on medium and beat the shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add in powdered sugar, almond extract, and 1 tablespoon of blood orange juice at a time as mixer is on low.
- When smooth, set mixer to high for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes when completely cooled + garnish.
Optional Orange Garnish: slice the oranges into thin rounds, place on a baking sheet. Dust with a sprinkle of coconut sugar. place in oven on high broil until caramlized.